Braithwaite Hall is a working hill farm situated in the lower reaches of Coverdale which borders the more famous Wensleydale. The farm has a large flock of Swaledale sheep and a beef cattle herd.
We are located 1 1/2 miles along a single track lane outside of East Witton, and there is plenty of parking spaces for all of our guests.
Located above the hall on "Braithwaite Hill" stands an iron age fort whose remains can still be seen.
The name Braithwaite is of Scandinavian origin meaning "broad clearing" - a reminder that much of this area was well wooded up to the medieval period. This land was once a forest and supplied firewood to neighboring Middleham Castle.
The earliest reference to a house at Braithwaite is 1301, when listed as a grange to Jervaulx Abbey. The Hall was also owned by the City of London for a time during the 17th century.
Re-modeled in 1667, the Hall boasts a splendid oak paneled drawing room with a large open fireplace. Where guests can sit and relax and take in the ambiance.
Braithwaite Hall is ideally situated for walking or exploring the famous Yorkshire Dales, with footpaths going through and around the farm.
Free fishing on the river Cover is available during your stay with us.
An Award Winning farmhouse breakfast is served every morning in the dining room. Including homemade bread and preserves, eggs from Wensleydale Eggs, Black Pudding, local sausages and bacon, fresh fruit, yoghurts and cereal, Eggs Benedict, Eggs Royale, Smoked Salmon & Scrambled Eggs.
Please note we only allow dogs in our self catering apartment and not in the main house, as we do have our own friendly dogs.
No children under 12 years.
Due to our location Wi-Fi is not always available and is not available in the self catering apartment.
We are very sorry but we do not take cards as payment. Only cash, BACS or cheques for deposits.
Arrival time is after 4pm, and departure time is 10.30 am.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any more information.
Charles & Vicky Duffus.